Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Year, New Challenges

I haven't been posting the past few weeks. I've been very busy with lots of preparations for things (started back to work after the 2 week break, Spring semester is starting next week, etc.). I was feeling a little overwhelmed and then the heart break happens....

Feed issues.

I lost 7 rabbits to a bad batch of feed. I should have known better than to feed pellets that were milled months ago, but I thought things would be fine since they had in the past. Every morning, walking out into the barn would be torture. One passed, sometimes two in a day. I lost entire litters. THANKFULLY, it was mostly just my newest generation and not any of my top adult stock. I did lose 2 adults though, but they were going to be sold/culled anyways. I guess you could say I got lucky there, but it's still depressing. I lost Harmony's litter, which kills me the most. I felt like quiting right there and then. These babies were rockin'. They were the sign of hope for the next Starlite generation. I feel so sad to know that I will pretty much have no juniors to show at Nationals in April. Out of all the litters I had booming in the barn, I have 2 babies left to show for it. I can only hope.

Thanks to those keeping me in their thoughts during my rough time. Good news is I got an awesome batch of feed that was only milled 2 weeks prior to me purchasing it. My new rule of thumb is that I will NEVER purchase feed that wasn't milled in the same month I buy it. No ifs, ands, or butts about it. The rabbits are now thriving on the new feed and gaining condition rapidly. I'll be ready for my next round of breedings soon. Crossing fingers and paws...

No comments:

Post a Comment